This New Year’s Eve is a special one for many – the first for some newly arrived, and for the mums and dads, the first as parents. This year, however, marks a special time that only comes around every 1000 years.
This New Years Eve (2017) marks a momentous point in time that can only be attained once every 1000 years. This is the only day when all adults were born in a different millennium from all of the minors – so EVERY child was born in the 2000’s and EVERY adult was born in the 1900’s.
If that hasn’t made you feel your age, here’s some things that will be 18 years old in the coming year…
- The worlds largest ferris wheel, AKA The London Eye
- The Tate Modern
- The Millennium Bridge – opened 18 years ago, but then closed 2 days later because it wobbled
- Ken Livingston became Mayor of London 18 years ago
- In 2000 the MI6 Building was attacked with an anti-tank missile
- One for the gamers (shout out to our friends at Arcade Attack) – the Playstation 2 was released. Does that make the Playstation 2 a “retro games console”?
- 18 years ago, Big Brother first aired on UK TV
- The last EVER original Mini rolled off the production line back in 2000, meaning the newest original style mini you can get will be 18 years old.
- The first crew arrived at the International Space Station 18 years ago
- Eminem’s album, The Marshal Mathers LP and Coldplays first album, Parachutes will both be celebrating their 18th birthdays in the coming year.
The year 2000 saw the release of some timeless films:
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
- Cast Away
- Billy Elliot
It also saw a memorable year of UK Number-one singles, here’s the highlights:
- Rise – Gabrielle
- Pure Shores – All Saints
- Fool Again – Westlife
- Fill Me In – Craig David
- Toca’s Miracle – Fragma
- Bound 4 Da Reload – Oxide and Neutrino
- Ooops!…I Did It Again – Britney Spears
- Don’t Call Me Baby – Madison Avenue
- It Feels So Good – Sonique
- Spinning Around – Kylie Minogue
- The Real Slim Shady – Eminem
- 7 Days – Craig David
- Rock DJ – Robbie Williams
- Groovejet (If This Ain’t Love) – Spiller. BONUS FACT – This was the first track to ever be played on Apple’s first functional iPod prototype.
- Take On Me – A1
- Lady (Hear Me Tonight) – Modjo
- Beautiful Day – U2
- My Love – Westlife
- Can’t Fight The Moonlight – Leann Rimes
- Independent Women (Part 1) – Destiny’s Child
- Never Had A Dream Come True – S Club 7
- Stan – Eminem (featuring Dido)
…and that year’s Christmas number-one spot went to…
Can We Fix It – Bob the Builder
Have a fabulous New Years and we’ll see you next year…